Occasionally I get email notices for award shows and think passing them on would benefit my readers. I just received this one and the deadline is January 21, 2013.
SECOND CALL: THE 2013 ERIC HOFFER BOOK AWARD
SMALL PRESSES * ACADEMIC PRESSES * MICRO PRESSES * SELF-PUBLISHERS — $2,000 GRAND PRIZE — LOW ENTRANCE FEE ($50)
All books accepted. … The Eric Hoffer Book Award recognizes excellence in independent publishing. Prizes awarded by genre, press, the Montaigne Medal, the da Vince Eye, the First Horizon Award, and the Hoffer grand prize. (See submission guidelines below, in Writer’s Market, or by visiting HofferAward.com.)
* New this year! E-book Fiction & E-book Nonfiction categories *
A single registration qualifies you for:
* $2,000 grand prize (the Eric Hoffer Award for Books)
* Winner of the Montaigne Medal for most thought-provoking books
* Winner of the da Vinci Eye for best covers
* Winner of the First Horizon Award for debut authors
* Winner and First Runner-Up in your selected category
* Honorable Mentions for your selected category
* Individual Awards for Micro, Small, and Academic Presses, as well as Self-Published Books
* Legacy categories for any book older than two years (fiction and nonfiction)
* Award coverage in the US Review of Books and on the Hoffer Award website
* Gold Seal Certificates
* Worldwide Exposure
Categories include Art, Poetry, General Fiction, Commercial Fiction, Children, Young Adult, Culture, Memoir, Business, Reference, Home, Health, Self-Help/Spiritual, Legacy Fiction, Legacy Nonfiction, E-book Fiction, and E-book Nonfiction. (There is a category for every book.)
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES (entry deadline January 21st, 2013):
Awards are open to academic, independent, small press, and self-published books that were released or copyrighted in the last 2 years, including unique books with small print runs. (Books over 2 years enter the Legacy Fiction or Legacy Nonfiction category.)
One grand prize will be awarded for the entire contest. In addition, each category will be awarded a winner, runner-up, and multiple honorable mentions. Books must be registered by category and then are automatically considered for Individual Press Awards, the Montaigne Medal, the da Vinci Eye, and the Hoffer Grand Prize.
For each entry, submit the book, entry form, and $50 fee (check, money order, or Internet payment receipt) to Hopewell Publications, LLC, PO Box 11, Titusville, NJ 08560. Be certain to specify award category and press type. Registration will be confirmed via e-mail. In May, all entrants will be notified of winners. Submissions must be postmarked by January 21, 2013.
ENTRY FORM (submit one entry form per book):
You may also visit www.HofferAward.com and click on the “Nominate” link.
Category (see below):
Press Designation (check only one; see description below):
Self-Published __ Micro __ Small __ Academic __
Author Debut? Yes __ No __ (select Yes if author’s first book)
AWARD CATEGORIES (select one per entry application):
* ART: titles involving the experience, execution, or demonstration of the arts, including art, fine art, graphic art, architecture, performing arts, design, photography, coffee table books, and poetry.
* POETRY: Titles with poetry or highly stylized prose.
* GENERAL FICTION: non-genre specific fiction, including literary, short story collections, and mainstream.
* COMMERCIAL FICTION: genre specific fiction, including mystery, thriller, suspense, science fiction, religion, romance, and horror.
* CHILDREN: titles for young children, including stories and picture books.
* YOUNG ADULT: titles aimed at the juvenile and teen markets.
* CULTURE: titles demonstrating the human or world experience, including multicultural, essay, women’s issues, sexuality, gay, lesbian, memoir, aging, travel, sports, true crime, and current events.
* MEMOIR: titles capturing specific personal experience.
* BUSINESS: titles with application to today’s business environment and emerging trends, including general business, career, computer, and Internet.
* REFERENCE: titles from traditional and emerging reference areas, including history, psychology, biography, science, philosophy, education, sports, recreation, training, travel, and how-to.
* HOME: titles with practical application to home or home-related issues, including general home, gardening, cooking, parenting, family, interior design, animals, and pets.
* HEALTH: titles promoting physical, mental, and emotional well-being, including psychology, fitness, and sex.
* SELF-HELP: titles involving traditional and emerging self-help subjects.
* SPIRITUAL: titles involving the mind and spirit, including religion, metaphysical, and mystical.
* LEGACY FICTION: all fiction titles over two years of age. (Unlike major trade organizations, we think good books last more than a single season.)
* LEGACY NONFICTION: all nonfiction titles over two years of age. (Unlike major trade organizations, we think good books last more than a single season.)
* E-BOOK FICTION: any fiction titles published in e-book format.
* E-BOOK NONFICTION: any nonfiction titles published in e-book format.
INDIVIDUAL PRESS AWARDS (select only one):
In addition to the above category awards, books will be singled out for additional awards in the micro press, small press, academic press, as well as self-published arenas. Please check one of the following types on the application.
* SELF-PUBLISHED – title financed by author or not by the publisher (regardless of press size).
* MICRO PRESS – title from a press producing 24 books or less per year.
* SMALL PRESS – title from a press producing 25 books or more per year.
* ACADEMIC PRESS – title from a press with an academic or library affiliation.
ADDITIONAL AWARD DISTINCTIONS:
All registered titles will automatically be considered for the following:
* MONTAIGNE MEDAL – most thought provoking book(s).
* DA VINCI EYE – books with superior cover art.
* FIRST HORIZON AWARD ¬– superior books by debut authors.
If you don’t see your category or cannot determine your press designation, please e-mail us with a description and our staff will guide you. A great book will supersede any category designation.
Fax: (609) 964-1718
The Eric Hoffer Awards
PO Box 11
Titusville, NJ 08560
Please be patient, we receive many inquiries this time of year. We will help you.
We want to help you. The Eric Hoffer Book Award is primarily run by volunteers to help readers, writers, and independent publishers. We thought you would be interested in this unique opportunity to promote your book(s).